Kashmiri Roghan Josh
from Brent Thompson
The recipe originally came from a Kashmiri cookbook that Brent came across
while living in India.
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 1 Tbs. fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. shahjeera (cumin seed)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs. pepper, red, powder (cayenne)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 1 bay leaf (Indian tez patta)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp. saffron
- 1 C. dahi (yoghurt), creamy (or sour cream)
- 200 gms ghii
- 1 piece hing (asafoetida)
- 1 kg. lamb, cut into large cubes
- Grind together the spices.
- Soak saffron in the dahi.
- Heat ghii and fry the lump of hing
- Add meat and sear on all sides, frying until well browned.
- Pour in the dahi and fry until liquid is absorbed.
- Add a glassful of water and the spices.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until tender.
- Remove cover and cook until liquid is gone.
go back to country list
go back to the Curry House homepage