from Brent Thompson
The recipe originally came from a Kashmiri cookbook that Brent came across
while living in India.
- 750 gms lamb, lean (or mutton)
- 250 gms lamb fat (less for the fatty lamb available in the U.S.A.)
- 2 tsp. cayenne
- 2 tsp. fennel seed
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 2 tsp. Kashmiri garam masala
- 1/2 C. yoghurt
- 2 Tbs. ghii
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 C. khoya
- 1 C. milk
- 2 tsp. pepper, black
- 4 cardamoms
- Chop the meat, fat, cayenne, fennel, ginger, coriander, and 1 tsp. garam
masala with a food processor. Keep chopping, adding a little yoghurt and
ghii, until the meat is a smooth paste.
- Form into balls 1.5-2 inches in diameter.
- Heat remaining ghii in a pan. Add sugar, khoya, yoghurt, garam masala,
and salt to taste.
- Pour in the milk, add the koftas, and simmer until the liquid evaporates
and the koftas are very tender.
go back to country list
go back to the Curry House homepage