from Brent Thompson
The recipe originally came from a Kashmiri cookbook that Brent came across
while living in India.
- 2 onions, large, quartered
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 cloves
- 12 peppercorns
- 6 cardamoms
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 500 gms lamb, cubed
- salt to taste
- 250 gms rice
- 1-2 Tbs sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 Tbs. almonds or pine nuts
- 1/2 tsp saffron, soaked in 1/4 Tbs. milk
- 4 Tbs. ghii
- Make bouquet garni of onions, cinnamon, cloves, 8 peppercorns, 4 cardamoms,
- Put bag of spices in a pan, add meat, salt, and enough water to cover.
Cook until water reduces to half.
- Remove bag of spices and squeeze out the flavor.
- Add the sugar and juice from 1/2 lemon; cook until liquid is syrupy.
- In another pan, boil the rice in water with the remaining spices and some
salt until barely tender; drain.
- In a casserole, put a layer of rice, then the meat, then remaining rice.
- Pour saffron milk over top, sprinkle with nuts, cover tightly, bake like
pullao (~350 F for 30-45 minutes).
go back to country list
go back to the Curry House homepage