Kashmiri Roast Yakhni
from Brent Thompson
The recipe originally came from a Kashmiri cookbook that Brent came across
while living in India.
- 1 Tbs. black peppercorns
- 2 Tbs. cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbs. poppy seeds, white
- 1 garlic clove (it's supposed to be "gold garlic")
- 2 tsp. ginger paste
- 2 onions
- 1 Tbs. almonds
- 1 small piece dried coconut
- 1/2 nutmeg
- salt to taste
- 1 lamb, leg (about 3 kg.), cut into 4 pieces
- 250 gms ghii
- 1.5 kg. dahi (yoghurt, creamy)
- 6 cardamoms, black
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 4 bay leaves (Indian tez patta)
- 1 lump hing, soaked in 1/2 C. hot water
- Grind together: black pepper, cayenne, poppy seeds, garlic, ginger,
onions, almonds, coconut, nutmeg, and salt.
- Make slashes in the meat and fill with spice/onion paste.
- Put meat into a pan with ghii, dahi, cardamoms, cinnamon, and bay leaves,
then cook on medium heat.
- Turn meat occasionally and sprinkle with hing water, adding water or
dahi if necessary.
- As meat becomes done, reduce heat. Meat should be absolutely tender
go back to country list
go back to the Curry House homepage