from Jasmine's kitchen in Karachi via
Bill says "The chicken tikka my friend's wife made for us in Karachi
was the best chicken I've ever eaten!"
- 2 pounds chicken legs, thighs or breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, roasted, ground
- 2 teaspoons garlic - minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, fresh - grated
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt (full fat)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper - ground
- vegetable oil
- NOTE : You can add some red food coloring to the marinade paste for the
traditional red color of this chicken dish.
- Remove the skin and make 2-3 deep cuts in each chicken piece.
- Roast the corriander seeds in a hot cast iron skillet. After cooling,
grind to powder.
- Mix all dry ingredients with the lemon juice or vinegar and make a paste.
- Put this paste onto chicken pieces and leave them for at least 4-5 hours
to marinate. Better if left in refrigerator over night.
- Rub each piece of chicken with a few drops of vegetable oil.
- Grill the chicken using indirect heat over hot coals.
- Put the chicken pieces (with the paste still on it) onto a broiler tray
and cover them with aluminum foil.
- Put the tray into a medium oven (350 F) for 30 minutes.
- Then remove tray and pour off any liquid. Baste chicken with 2 tablespoons
of oil and return to the oven for another 15 minutes until outside of chicken
go back to country list
go back to the Curry House homepage